Monday, December 3, 2012

No success without the Spirit!


     Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great week! This week was very interesting in following the promptings of the spirit! 
    Two weeks ago I was on divisions in my area with Elder Sanchez.  We both have the same amount of time here in Mexico, he is from Baja Mexico. The whole day we had been teaching lessons and we had walked 7 or 8 miles.  We were pretty hungry so we decided to stop in the Panderia - just a bread shop and other good stuff. Elder Sanchez walked in singing, "Oh Holy Night".  We were the only ones in the shop and the cashier looked at him and said, "wow you have a beautiful voice!"  I was thinking, "you've got to be kidding me!" She said that the song was beautiful as well. She saw our name tags and wasn't familiar with our church. We got to talking to her and asked if we could pass by another day. She agreed and was very excited. So about a week had passed by and Elder Velez had just finished teaching a lesson when  all of the sudden I had a prompting to go back to that bread shop. At first I was thinking, is this hunger?  Then I got the prompting again to return and talk to the cashier. I asked my companion and told him we need to go to the bread shop, so we headed that way. As we got there, she was working! I thought this is the perfect chance to share our message. We walked in and she was thrilled to see us. We told her about eternal families. She thought that message was so great that she could be eternal with her family who she loved so much, and how much of the world is trying to destroy the family. As we were about to finish our lesson, an older lady walked in and saw our pamphlet on he table. She smiled and asked, "how much does this cost"? We smiled and said it's free. We gave her our number and she left. We have now taught three lessons with this lady in the bread shop and are shooting for a baptismal date in mid December. We have three baptismal dates for the month of December and are praying to meet our goal of 5! 


Orange trees are everywhere!


     I have learned that without the spirit it is impossible to have success! We must follow every prompting we receive! I have seen how promptings can bless lives, and strenghten the testimonies of those who receive them! I truly love these people here in Mexico - they are so warm and loving and willing to share everything! The weather here is great.  Yesterday and today have been in the upper 70's! I hope you all have a great week!!

Love,
Elder Tanner Aiken

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these experiences. We are serving in the Florida Fort Lauderdale mission and know how it is the Spirit that makes missionary work possible. We enjoy reading about other missions and to read the testimonies of faithful missionaries.

    ReplyDelete